Now that every high school football team in the desert has opened its season, here’s the first full installment of the power rankings:
1. Palm Springs (2-0): Ranked fifth in the Central Division, the Indians face the toughest stretch of their non-league schedule in their next three games. After hosting Silverado on Friday, they travel to Corona and Redlands.
2. La Quinta (0-2): Don’t overlook the Blackhawks, who always play the most challenging non-league schedule in the desert. A costly fumble stifled their chances to beat Arlington last week.
3. Palm Desert (0-1): The Aztecs are coming off their bye week as they prepare for two tough games in a row. They host Damien and then travel to Redlands. Both teams are in the higher-rated Inland Division.
4. Cathedral City (0-1): In their opener last week, the Lions’ offense played well, but their defense struggled in a 62-32 loss to Banning. The Lions are rated fourth in these rankings based on their offensive output last week.
5. Desert Hot Springs (1-1): Along with Palm Springs, the Golden Eagles are the only other team in the desert with a victory so far this season. Seven turnovers doomed them in a 48-28 defeat to Big Bear last week.
6. Indio (0-2): After losing their opener, the Rajahs improved in a 33-7 loss to Brawley. They should be even more competitive in their game against Hemet on Friday.
7. Coachella Valley (0-1): Like Indio two weeks ago, the Arabs were overwhelmed in their opener against West Valley, losing 70-0. They should fare better against Central (El Centro) on Friday.
8. Shadow Hills (0-1): The Knights were able to move the ball on offense in their opener against Jurupa Hills, but they couldn’t stop the Spartans on defense in a 41-18 loss.
9. Desert Mirage (0-2): One week after their opening loss, the Rams took a step forward in a 26-10 defeat to Calipatria, and they will look to do the same Friday against Calexico.
10. Xavier Prep (0-2): Injuries have set back the Saints, who lost to Twentynine Palms 49-0 last week. They host Desert Hot Springs on Thursday.
1. Desert Christian Academy (1-0): In coach Scott Gilbert’s debut, the Conquerors routed California Lutheran 62-18 in their opener last week. They are ranked second in Division I.
2. Desert Chapel (1-0): The Eagles blew out Public Safety Academy 70-16 in their opener last week. They are ranked third in Division II.
3. Marywood-Palm Valley (1-0): The undaunted Firebirds shut out West Shores 44-0 in their opener last week. They are ranked 10th in Division II.